Saturday, February 3, 2007

First Day (part two)

Several weeks ago I ordered a potato planting kit after giving in to my urges of wanting to find out how to grow these vegetables. They arrived last week and completely confused me; I have approximately 120 tubers and only 3 Potato barrels. I can plant 3 -4 tubers per barrel so the math just didn't add up for me. Since receiving my seed potatoes I have shamelessly been on the scrounge for tidy size buckets to enable me to grow as many of these as possible (Not liking to waste anything if I can help it). I have been promised some but as of yet none have materialised. I have been researching "growing potatoes" and have found out that there wasn't as much to fear about as I first thought. I have just put my earlies in to Chitt and am really looking forward to planting them and eventually eating them. I just hope that I can work the timings out successfully and don't end up with a mountain of potatoes in one glut. Last year I had some success in growing a small amount of Beetroot and Carrots and massive failures in my Swede and Cabbages. Not to be put off I may try the later two again to see if I can at least get one meal out of them. As Rhian mentioned the garden is a mess and is slowly being cleared, many weeks of digging to look forward to I think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: